Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now
Talking about:
82 posts
3,385 visits

help with utilities

What's your take? (click here)


I'm on a payment plan with dominion power. I'm currently unemployed and have a 2 yr old

I'm on a payment plan with dominion power. I'm currently unemployed and have a 2 yr old son. My bill is due on the 10th and I'm in need of 240.00. Please help me, Thank you.
Talk to kathyg01

I'm unemployed and my light bill is about to be disconnected if someone knows anybody that

I'm unemployed and my light bill is about to be disconnected if someone knows anybody that can help me I will do community service or what you need me to do. I am in school and I am seeking employment.I'm asingle parent with a disabled son. Thank you
Talk to papa69

Hello iam a mother of five i really need help with my bge Bill not working at all iam on

Hello iam a mother of five i really need help with my bge Bill not working at all iam on section 8 iam afraid of losing my voucher any suggestion please
Talk to redds

I'm 25 year old and have two boys I have seizures and I'm not able to work anymore I'm

I'm 25 year old and have two boys I have seizures and I'm not able to work anymore I'm new design help turn my lights on at new address I spent all my money on three months rent plus deposit and to turn on other bills I'm lost where can I go for help
Talk to Sez25
pteak   in reply to meyers   on


Hello I don't no what to say I no its people on hear that really need help don't get me wrong I need help to but thay might need it more I only need 395 for my rent god bless the other people that needs it more.
Talk to pteak
carl martin   in reply to carl martin   on

Help please, I am 55 yrs old and am disabled, and have nowhere else to turn for help, I

Talk to carl martin
carl martin  

Help please, I am 55 yrs old and am disabled, and have nowhere else to turn for help, I

Help please, I am 55 yrs old and am disabled, and have nowhere else to turn for help, I need help with my bge bills my bill is $2,166.12 cents I recieve SSI Disability, I have tryed everywhere for help, am tired, my landlord says if bge is not on in 10 days they will force me to the streets, I have lived here for 9 years I have nowhere else to go,please help me if you can. and may god bless you all thank you
Talk to carl martin


I am in need of help to get my lites on i just moved to a new place with my family i have little girls that can not go with out so way a having lite so they can have fans 102 today tomorrow 100 to hot for my babys i need help with the deposit of 200 dollars to get it turned on please help an god bless any help that any one can do
Talk to meyers

Free money to pay bills Texas Houston area

Help paying rent and utilities. My husband lost his job and we have to be out by midnight tonight I have 4 children I don't know what to do any advice would be thankful and helpful and I appreciate it. Please help I have never had to do this before I always came up with a solution. This time I feel I will fail my family.
Talk to Melrose05

Help with rent notice to vacate tonight at midnight with my four children

Help paying rent and utilities. My husband lost his job and we have to be out by midnight tonight I have 4 children I don't know what to do any advice would be thankful and helpful and I appreciate it. Please help I have never had to do this before I always came up with a solution. This time I feel I will fail my family.
Talk to Melrose05



I want to share some information with everyone about a program that I have signed up for myself.  It helps low-income individuals permanently reduce their energy bill by making their homes more energy efficient.  I’ve been on a waiting list for a while and just received the call.  After borrowing money from my Mom and from my IRA twice to pay my electric bill over the past several months, I’m anxious to see how this program will help me.  Below is a link to find a location near you.


Talk to Inspiration

Oregon Energy And Weatherization Programs


Oregon Housing and Community Services (OHCS) administers various energy and weatherization programs that operate through local Community Action Agencies (CAAs), Community Services, Senior Service Agencies, and other community service providers.
Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP)
Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) This program helps low-income households pay their home heating costs. It is funded through the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and provides roughly $12 million in federal funds per year to assist lower income Oregonians pay their energy bills.
Oregon Energy Assistance Program (OEAP)
Oregon Energy Assistance Program (OEAP) This program assists lower income Oregonians with electric bill payments. The program provides approximately $10 million per year to those who heat with electricity; that reside within the territory of the participating utilities; and who have incomes at or below 60 percent of Oregon's median income. Local Community Action Agencies implement this program.
State Energy Efficient Appliance Rebate Program (SEEARP) The US Department of Energy provides federal stimulus funds for states to provide rebates for ENERGY STAR qualified appliances. More than 70% of the energy used in homes is for appliances, refrigeration, space heating, cooling and water heating. Replacing old appliances and equipment (i.e. furnaces) with ENERGY STAR equipment can help American families lower their energy use and reduce their energy bills.
Low Income Weatherization Assistance Program
Low Income Weatherization Assistance Program This program provides weatherization and energy conservation services at no cost to households with incomes at or below 60 percent of Oregon's median income. Local Community Action Agencies or other lead service providers implement the program.
Weatherization Training and Technical Assistance Program
Weatherization Training and Technical Assistance Program This program provides training and technical assistance to statewide agencies that contract with Oregon Housing and Community Services to deliver low-income weatherization for the U.S. Department of Energy. Learn More 
Energy Efficiency and Consumer Competency Program (E2C2)
Energy Efficiency and Consumer Competency Program (E2C2) State of Oregon Energy State Plans, Evaluations and Reports,
and associated Oregon Energy Partners. Learn More

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Sacramento, California Salvation Army Help With Rent, Rent Deposit, Utilities and Food

Family Services
4350 Raley Blvd, Ste. 200
Sacramento, CA 95838
(916) 678-4010

The Salvation Army - Sacramento is committed to serving the local community by providing a breadth of social service assistance:

Food Boxes
Tues, Wed & Thurs
9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
6 times per year with 30-day waiting period between boxes.
  • Tuesdays-Wednesdays-Thursdays only 9 am to 3:30 pm.
  • I.D., Social Security card and proof of income required
  • Contents are non-perishable items.
  • Number of boxes received varies with number of people in household.
  • Walk in for service.
Rental Assistance
Move In and
Eviction Avoidance
$200 to $600
  • Must bring current month's 3 day pay or quit notice from landlord and complete rental agreement
  • Requires proof of hardship documentation.
  • Move in requires rental agreement or letter from landlord.
  • By zip code.
Utility Assistance
(Pacific Gas & Electric)
Up to $300
  • Current disconnect notice with documented hardship required in the past 60 days.
  • Monthly income and 2 pay stubs required.
  • Section 8 will only receive assistance with elderly or disabled in the home.
Utility Assistance
(Sac Municipal Utility Dist)
Up to $200
  • Must have a notice of termination of service or medical rate disconnect letter.
  • Cannot be used towards deposit or reconnection fees.
Water, Sewer & Garbage
City of Sacramento
Up to $100
  • Must be City of Sacramento homeowner or show proof that you are responsible for paying the utility bill.
  • Past due notice required.
Disaster Victims
Emergency Food, Clothing &
$100 per person in household.
  • Assistance may be in the form of vouchers.
  • Must have pre-registered with Red Cross/FEMA.
Emergency Lodging/Shelter
Motel Assistance
1 to 3 nights
  • Must have a transition into housing pending or a referral from a community agency.
  • Must be a resident of the County of Sacramento (by zip code).
Bus Tickets & Gasoline Vouchers
Not a stand alone assistance.
  • For gas voucher, must show valid California driver's license, current auto registration and current proof financial responsibility.
  • Must be a resident of the County of Sacramento.

Assistance programs based on residence, income qualifications and availability of funding.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Missouri Listing Of Agencies That Will Help You Pay Your Utility Bill

If you need help paying your utility bills, contact one of these organizations.

 -   Missouri Weatherization Assistance Program - federal grant program established to help reduce the heating and cooling costs for low income persons through improving the energy efficiency of their homes.
 -   Missouri Low Income Energy Assistance Program - program to assist qualifying households with the payment of a portion of their residential winter heating costs.
 -   Black Hills Cares - provides funds to help people with their energy bills or emergency energy-related expenses.
 -   "Heat Share" program by the Salvation Army - provides assistance with heating and cooling bills, and when funds permit, with emergency repairs to furnaces, air conditioners and hot-water heaters. Contact your local Salvation Army location for assistance.
 -   Empire's Action to Support the Elderly ("E.A.S.E.") - program to assist seniors with their overdue electric bills.
 -   Project Help by Empire District Electric Company provides assistance to senior citizens and handicapped persons.
 -   "IShare" and "IRap" programs by the Independence, Missouri Power and Light Department assist low-income and seniors with their utility bills. Contact your Community Services League for assistance.
 -   "Dollar More" - program by AmerenUE assists lower income individuals with their utility bills.
 -   "Dollar Aide" by Kansas City Power & Light helps people in need pay their utility bills. Contact KCP&L for assistance.
 -   Energy Assistance program by Missouri Gas Energy provides emergency assistance to assist with payment of utility bills.
 -   DOLLAR HELP - a non-profit corporation supported by Laclede Gas Company that provides private funds to low-income, elderly, and disabled households to prevent the cut-off of the household's heat. DOLLAR HELP is available only if you have qualified for LIHEAP.

For information, contact:

St. Louis City & Wellston Residents - Human Development Corporation (HDC)652-5100

St. Louis County Residents - Metroplex, Inc. 863-0015
 -   Operation "Round Up" – program by several local power companies provides energy assistance funds to local non-profit organizations and individuals in need:
 -   Co-Mo Electric Cooperative
 -   Crawford Electric Cooperative
 -   Laclede Electric Cooperative
 -   Osage Valley Electric Cooperative
 -   White River Valley Electric Cooperative
 -   Caring Co-op Neighbors – a customer-funded program North Central Missouri Electric Cooperative to assist members who meet eligibility requirements. Members in need can receive up to $2,500 assistance annually. Apply through the Green Hills Community Action Agency or the Missouri Division of Family Services
 -   Make your home more energy efficient
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Rhode Island Emergency Cash Assistance Program

Heat Assistance
This innovative program enables Rhode Island Housing’s FirstHomes customers to defer $200 a month from their mortgage payments for up to four months during the winter season, with the understanding that they will pay an extra $100 a month after the heating season is over to make up the difference. The program is free and does not increase the interest customers pay on their mortgages.

RoadHome Emergency Housing Assistance
Rhode Island Housing's RoadHome Emergency Housing Assistance (RHEHA) provides assistance to individuals and families who are facing a housing crisis.

RHEHA is designed to help Rhode Islanders in need and reduce the Rhode Island shelter population by providing cash assistance to individuals and families at risk of becoming homeless due to a short term housing emergency. RHEHA provides up to $1,200 to eligible program participants for security deposits, first month's rent or mortgage payment assistance. Applicants must be facing a temporary housing crisis, meet strict income and eligibility requirements and be able to sustain their housing costs over the long term.

RHEHA is funded and administered by Rhode Island Housing and implemented through community-based organizations, including Community Mediation Center of Rhode Island and Rhode Island Community Action .

RHEHA Rules and Regulations

Supportive Housing Program
The Supportive Housing Program (SHP) is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Each year, Rhode Island Housing applies for a grant in which partner service agencies are provided with funding for a wide array of programs. These programs provide housing with services to the homeless population along a “Continuum of Care.”

The three basic program types are:
• Safe Havens, housing for hard-to-reach homeless persons with severe mental illnesses who are on the streets and have been unable or unwilling to participate in supportive services;
• Transitional Housing, housing in which homeless persons live for up to 24 months and receive supportive services that enable them to live more independently and
• Permanent Housing, long-term community-based housing and supportive services for homeless persons with disabilities.

The intent of this type of supportive housing is to enable this special needs population to live as independently as possible in a permanent setting. 

Shelter Plus Care Program
The Shelter Plus Care Program (S+C) is designed to link rental assistance to supportive services for hard-to-serve homeless persons with disabilities (primarily those who are seriously mentally ill; have chronic problems with alcohol, drugs, or both; or have acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) and related diseases) and their families. The program provides grants to be used for rental assistance for permanent housing for homeless persons with disabilities.

Rental assistance grants must be matched by supportive services that are equal in value to the amount of rental assistance and appropriate to the needs of the population to be served. S+C is authorized by title IV, subtitle F. of the Stewart B. Mc Kinney Homeless Assistance Act (the McKinney Act).

Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) Program
The Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS Program addresses the specific needs of persons living with HIV/AIDS and their families. HOPWA, established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), makes grants to local communities, states, and nonprofit organizations for projects that benefit low income persons medially diagnosed with HIV/AIDS and their families.

HOPWA funding provides housing assistance and related supportive services as part of HUD’s Consolidated Planning initiative that works in partnership with communities and neighborhoods in managing Federal funds appropriated to HIV/AIDS programs. HOPWA grantees are encouraged to develop community-wide strategies and form partnerships with area nonprofit organizations. HOPWA funds may be used for a wide range of housing, social services, program planning, and development costs.

These include, but are not limited to, the acquisition, rehabilitation, or new construction of housing units; costs for facility operations; rental assistance; and short-term payments to prevent homelessness. HOPWA funds also may be used for health care and mental health services, chemical dependency treatment, nutritional services, case management, assistance with daily living, and other supportive services.

Many beneficiaries receive supportive services that are funded by HOPWA or other related public and private programs. In fact, states and cities leverage approximately two dollars for every one dollar provided by the HOPWA program, according to HUD reports.

For more information on these programs, contact Lisa Sanchez at 401 457-1197 or

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Wethersfield, Connecticut Special Needs And Emergency Assistance Programs


The department provides information and referral services for those with disabilities. In addition, caseworkers can assist with the completion of forms or applications and provide support for independent living. Caseworkers interface with other support agencies and make clients aware of additional services or fund sources. Contact Marita Eppler at (860) 721-2977.

The Wethersfield Advisory Committee for People With Disabilities has produced a handbook for Wethersfield residents and their caretakers and agencies that help people with disabilities to achieve their goals. This handbook has excellent information and resources regarding programs and agencies that can assist people with disabilities. Limited copies are available in print and can be found at the Wethersfield Library, Town Manager's office and the Wethersfield Social and Youth Services Department, and it is available for download in PDF format from our Forms page.


Each spring, the department offers a limited number of camp scholarships to families with financial need. For further information contact Nancy Stilwell at (860) 721-2977.


Department clinical staff are available during normal working hours to provide crisis intervention services, information and referral on an emergency basis. Call the department at (860) 721-2977. During non working hours, contact the Wethersfield Police Department at (860) 721-2900.


For those who qualify financially, department staff and a CRT worker process applications that provide energy rebates during the heating season. For further information and to find out if you qualify, contact Social and Youth Services, (860) 721-2977


The Food and Clothing Bank are available to any Wethersfield resident in need. Donations of clothes, food or funds to purchase food are welcome at any time. To use the banks or to donate, contact Marita Eppler at (860) 721-2977.


The department accepts donations of food and gifts during the holidays to assist families or individuals with financial need. Anyone may adopt a family and purchase the gifts that they request for their children. The donor and recipient remain anonymous to each other, but this program ensures that a family in need gets the things that will make the holidays special for their children. Contact Lori Schroll at (860) 721-2977.


The medical equipment loan program is operated by the Rocky Hill/Wethersfield Graduate Nurses Association. Almost any type of medical equipment except hospital beds can be borrowed from the program for as long as it is needed. Contact Marita Eppler at (860) 721-2977.


Volunteers are always welcome to share their time at the food and clothing pantry, and other opportunities vary with the time of year. Please contact Nancy Stilwell at (860) 721-2977.

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Missouri Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

The Missouri Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) has two components: Energy Assistance/Regular Heating (EA) and Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP). EA is designed to provide financial assistance to help pay heating bills for Missourians during the months of October, November, December, January, February, and March. Eligibility requirements for EA are based on income, family size, available resources and responsibility for payment of home heating costs. Eligibility for EA may also qualify individuals for additional financial assistance through ECIP and/or weatherization services funded by LIHEAP.

Who Is Eligible?

Households that meet income guidelines based on family size. Caseworkers in Community Action Agencies provide information concerning requirements.

Links to Other Energy Assistance Internet Resources:

Talk to friendshelpingfriends

California Resources That Help With Utility Payments

If you need help paying your utility bills, contact one of these organizations.

 -   Anaheim Public Utilities
 -   Burbank Water and Power
 -   City of Palo Alto Utilities
 -   Consumer energy center (for rebates, grants, and loans)
 -   Department of Community Services and Development
 -   Fresno EOC Energy Programs
 -   Kern County Programs
 -   Kings County Community Action Organization
 -   Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP)
 -   Madera County Community Action Agency
 -   Merced County Community Action Agency
 -   Pacific Gas and Electric Company
 -   Pasadena Water and Power
 -   Riverside Public Utilities
 -   Roseville Electric
 -   Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD)
 -   San Diego Gas & Electric (SDGE)
 -   Southern California Edison
 -   Southern California Gas Company (SOCALGas)
 -   State of California Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (CAL LIHEAP)
 -   Make your home more energy efficient
Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Texas Cash Assistance Programs For Low Income

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) provides financial help for children and their parents or relatives who are living with them. Monthly cash payments help pay for food, clothing, housing, utilities, furniture, transportation, telephone, laundry, household equipment, medical supplies not paid for by Medicaid and other basic needs. The amount of the TANF payment depends on family size and income.

[Apply for TANF]

TANF for Families

To receive TANF for Families, a family must be below income and resource limits set for the program. HHSC looks at a family’s income and compares it with the amount the family pays for basic needs such as rent, utilities, child care and work-related expenses. Resources such as cash on hand, money in the bank and type of vehicles are also considered.

Families who are approved for TANF will receive payments for six months. HHSC will send a renewal application to the family before the end of the six months.

Families who receive TANF benefits can also get Medicaid benefits. Families can choose if they want to receive one or both types of benefits.

HHSC provides TANF payments through the Lone Star Card – an electronic debit card that is used like a credit card at the cash register.

The total amount of time the parent or relative can receive TANF ranges from 12 to 36 months and is based on his or her education, work experience, and personal or economic situation. There are no time limits for children.

In most cases, a child must be under 18 years old to receive TANF. If an 18-year-old is a full-time student and is expected to graduate before he or she turns 19, TANF payments may be made until he or she graduates.

If a child’s parent or relative is also approved for TANF, the parent or relative must sign and follow the Personal Responsibility Agreement. By signing the Personal Responsibility Agreement the parent or relative agrees to:

  • Train for a job or look for employment if capable (assistance is provided by the Texas Workforce Commission).
  • Cooperate with child support requirements.
  • Not voluntarily quit a job.
  • Not abuse alcohol or drugs.
  • Take parenting skills classes if required.
  • Get medical screenings and all required immunizations for all children in the household (adults and children who receive TANF can get health care services through Medicaid).
  • Make sure that children are attending school.

One-Time TANF

One-time TANF provides $1,000 in cash for families in crisis. It can be given only once in a 12-month period to those who qualify.

To get a one-time TANF payment, families must meet the same income and resource limits required for “TANF for Families.” Those families who already get TANF payments cannot get a one-time TANF payment.

The purpose of one-time TANF is to help with a short-term crisis such as:

  • Loss of a job.
  • Loss of financial support for a child, such as child support or help paying living expenses (rent, utilities and food).
  • Not being able to find a job after graduating from a university, college, junior college or technical training school.
  • Not being able to get a job because vehicle is not working.
  • Loss of a home.
  • Medical emergency.

One-Time TANF Grandparent Payment

The One-Time TANF Grandparent Payment is $1,000 cash assistance given to a grandparent who cares for a child receiving TANF. To receive this assistance, a grandparent must be 45 years old or older and meet income and resource limits.

A grandparent can only receive this payment once, even though other grandchildren may move into his or her home at a later time. A grandparent cannot receive the payment if another grandparent already received the payment for the same grandchild.


Family Size


Household with One Parent or  One Caretaker

Household with Two Parents or Two Caretakers





































For each additional person, add:






Family Size

Monthly Income Limits for One-Time TANF Grandparent Payment



















For each additional person, add:


Talk to friendshelpingfriends

Buffalo, New York Home Energy Assistance Programs

Chilly nights have already settled into Buffalo and the surrounding areas and most families have put off turning on the heat because they don't have the money to pay high heating bills. Help is here in the form of HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program), which begins taking applications on November 1st across New York State.

If your family received help from HEAP last year, you can reapply over the phone or online, you do not need to go to the Social Services offices.


For information and suggestions on how to lower your utilities bills, check out Heat Smart, NY.

HEAP (Home Engergy Assistance Program) Income guidelines (effective 10/1/10 through 9/30/11):

   1                                     2,129
   2                                     2,784
   3                                     3,439
   4                                     4,094
   5                                     4,749
   6                                     5,404
   7                                     5,527
   8                                     5,650
   9                                     5,773
  10                                    5,896
  11                                    6,029

Each additional                 add $468 per person

Basic information about HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program):

Regular HEAP benefits are based on income, the primary fuel source and the presence of a household member who is under age 6, age 60 or older or permanently disabled. A household may receive one Regular HEAP Benefit per program year paid directly to the vendor that supplies their main source of heat.

Emergency HEAP benefits are based on income, available resources, the number of household members and the primary fuel type. A household may be eligible to receive one emergency heating benefit for their main source of heat and one emergency heat related benefit for their electric if their electric is necessary to run their thermostat.

The Furnace Repair and Replacement Component of the Home Energy Assistance Program is available to help eligible low-income home owners repair or replace furnaces, boilers and other direct heating components necessary to keep the home's primary heating source functional.

Furnace benefits amounts are based on the actual cost incurred to replace or repair the applicants’ furnace, boiler, and/or other essential heating equipment necessary to keep the home's primary heating source operational.

To receive a benefit, an application must be made in person at the local department of social services and the applicant must receive a determination from the local department of social services that the applicant has met all established eligibility criteria, including established income and resource requirements. Benefits are paid directly to vendors after completion of all work for previously approved applications only.

Applications for furnace repairs or replacements are available at your local department of social services office

For more information contact your local Social Services office or call the HEAP Hotline at 1-800-342-3009 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              1-800-342-3009      end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Contact HEAP to verify all information before applying for benefits.

Print the HEAP application fill it out, and take it with you to your appointment. You will need pages 1 through 4.

Items you will need to bring with your application to Social Services:

  • A current fuel and/or utility bill or receipt which document a direct vendor relationship for energy based upon actual usage billing or a statement from your landlord that your heat and/or utilities are included in your rent
  • Proof of income for all income earning persons in your household (including alimony and child support) for the previous 4 weeks
  • Unemployment insurance benefits book
  • Bank book, interest or dividend statements
  • Copies of Social Security or pension checks or direct deposit statements
  • Business statements for the previous 3 months if you are self employed

You will also need to bring one of the following for each person in your household

  • Birth or marriage certificates
  • School or baptismal records
  • Social Security Cards
  • Driver’s license
Talk to friendshelpingfriends